Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Tool for Driving Ground Rod

On Dec 14, 10:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 14, 7:01*pm, croy wrote:

The last time I put in a ground rod at this house, it took
me a full day with a pipe-style post-pounder, and another
day to recover. *The soil here is about an inch thich over
serious hardpan.

I've decided that I need another ground rod, closer to the
service entrance panel, to keep the GFCI breakers from
tripping needlessly.

I'd be willing to buy a power tool to do this, if it doesn't
cost more than $50 or so, and would do the job in 1/2-hour
or less. *Does such a beast exist?

--
Thanks,
croy

A large 1" or larger electric drill and an auger should be rentable
from your local tool rental house. *After you drill the hole, as you
put the rod down, add a lot of salt to the dirt you back-fill with to
increase the ground conductivity. *Also use a hose to help moisten and
pack the dirt so that you have good conductivity between the rod and
ground.

these days ground rods arent copper they are copper clad steel. rock
salt can make your new rod disappear........