Posted to alt.home.repair

Default brick work + more

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:07:03 -0800 (PST), leza wang
wrote:

On Friday, December 14, 2012 11:27:41 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
leza wang wrote:

On Monday, December 10, 2012 4:50:27 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

leza wang wrote: thanks for the reply. i do not know how to

measure it. it is small house but not very tiny. it is 1.5

stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms. the veneer bricks are

coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i will try to take

pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something

high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real

bricks. it is fully detached house. thanks once again. I think

if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably

help in terms of people giving suggestions etc. But, even without

the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about changing to vinyl

siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot less

expensive than brick.

Thanks a lot for your reply TomR

Here are links to some pictures I took today (front and the side)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vl8aj9.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/15s8tub.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/sykxnn.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/chumu.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/nleyqt.jpg

Thanks a lot for the suggesting about the vinyl siding. I am kind of

relief now thinking there is another option rather than the brick

because for some reason the brick idea scares me because it needs a

lot of work and I am not sure if my house can handle that. Any

feedback/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks once again

Thanks for posting the photos. I think that helps a lot.

It does look to me like the best, easiest, and probably least expensive

option would be to have the existing brick/brickface removed and install

vinyl siding. And, it looks like it is just the front of the house that

needs that, so the job shouldn't be too big or too expensive. My guess is

that some type of tan or light brown color vinyl siding will go with the

foundation brick colors, the wood siding color on the side of the house, and

the white railings. They should be able to trim in out around the window

and on the vertical corners of the house in a way that will look nice. It

also looks like that will go well with the house next door which appears to

have either vinyl or aluminum siding.

Good luck.

Maybe you could post some before and after pictures whenever you do get

around to doing whatever you decide to do.

Thanks TomR for you reply and help.
I was thinking to replace the wood siding as well. because when it rain the water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. So i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides as well (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?

Also I have another question if i may, which is better vinyl or aluminum siding? thanks a lot once again.

Good vinyl is better tha crappy aluminum - and good aluminum is
better than crappy vinyl. Any aluminum will be more expensive than any
vinyl.