Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tool for Driving Ground Rod

On 12/14/12 7:01 PM, croy wrote:
The last time I put in a ground rod at this house, it took
me a full day with a pipe-style post-pounder, and another
day to recover. The soil here is about an inch thich over
serious hardpan.

I've decided that I need another ground rod, closer to the
service entrance panel, to keep the GFCI breakers from
tripping needlessly.

I'd be willing to buy a power tool to do this, if it doesn't
cost more than $50 or so, and would do the job in 1/2-hour
or less. Does such a beast exist?

These http://tinyurl.com/c4rzguo (link to Amazon)
I have no idea how well they work. I guess a rotary hammer is the
tool to use with these. Maybe a rental place would have something.
We use sledge hammers with pipes welded into the heads in place of
the wooden handles. The toughest one I did took maybe an hour. Or
twenty years in dog years.