Posted to rec.woodworking
woodstuff[_2_] woodstuff[_2_] is offline

Default Stacked Rail and Stile Bit - Good/Bad?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Some of you may be following my previous thread about making cabinet
doors.

Does anyone know if the stack rail and stile bits shown midway down
this page are any good? I wonder if they are one of those tools trying
to be good at multiple things but not really good at any.

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-Stacked-R.../dp/B000MXMK5I

MLCS Woodworking Stacked Rail and Stile Router Bit Demo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtHZefxbw0k

Honestly, I have never made door parts with a router bit. However, I make
doors on shapers, and it is about the same principle. From the Amazon link,
it looks like the center cutter would be working overtime, as it is used in
both cope and stick cuts. This setup should work just fine, however, as
long as you reduce the speed of the router. Be careful that the end cuts on
the workpiece are perfectly square. As for the quality, well who knows?
Maybe working with a lower cost cutters will be wise for someone who is
learning.

I also noticed that the center cutter is not very tall, so I must wonder how
it would work on lumber that might be like 13/16. The lumber would have to
be the right thickness and stay in a sweet spot, it seems. Again, I have no
experience doing this.

Have a good day, woodstuff