Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 13:09:45 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/14/12 12:54 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 21:38:15 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/13/12 8:19 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
My router dado jig doesn't need guide bushings or a top bearing bit -
it guides the router base.

each side of the guide consists of two pieces - a wide piece of 1/4"
plywood that the router rides on, and a (straight!) piece of 1/2"
plywood, or similar piece of solid wood glued on top.

Before the first use, run the router along the jig with the base
against the 1/2" board, so the router bit can trim the 1/4" plywood to
the correct size.

The jigs we're discussing adjust for the thickness of the board that
will go into the dado.
If I understand correctly, all your jig does is allow you to line up
perfectly with a marked line, like a circular saw rip guide.

No - my dado jig uses two pieces as described, joined similarly to the
Woodwhisperer's dado jig, but it uses the router base as the guide,
rather than requiring a guide bushing or a bearing on the bit. (maybe
I should take a picture of it, and post it somewhere...)

No, I think I understand.
The 1/4" plywood on both sides is what "clamps" tightly around the
material to be inserted into the dado to insure a perfect size.
Correct?

If so, that's a great alternative.

Yes - photos now posted:
http://www3.telus.net/peterbb/dado_jig1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/peterbb/dado_jig4.jpg

There may be a slight problem with this if the bit is not centered in
the base - but if you don't turn the router as you slide it along,
this shouldn't be a problem. The B&D router I use with this jig has
two flat sides on the base, so I can't turn it too far without ruining
everything anyway...

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net