Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Curve RCBO consumer unit from Denmans

Dom Ostrowski wrote:

On 14/12/12 19:24, David WE Roberts wrote:

My electrician was very impressed with the CUR-M14 unit (first time he's
used it) - plenty of room to work in and about £100 populated.

All-RCBO CU's are undoubtedly the future, and RCBO's seem to be
dramatically decreasing in price.

But so far I don't see the major suppliers offering these - only dual
RCD units.

That's because they want to make more money for doing nothing - MCBs are
pennies to produce. RCBOs are still seen as 'expensive', but available
from most wholesalers at £15 or less. Screwfix have a comedic price of
£30 ish each.
Willts do a 8 way RCBO CU for £120, I use them and they are excellent,
probably the same maker as the Denmans one - loads of room inside, which
is something the bigger makes have just not caught on to, or maybe they
dont want to.

Nearly all 'traditional' CUs are very tight for space when you use
RCBOs, so it will cost them a lot to design and build a new range, but
I can see in 5 years time that no-one will be installing dual RCD and
MCB CUs.

Alan.