Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Stacked Rail and Stile Bit - Good/Bad?

On 12/14/12 8:15 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I've used a few MCLS bits, no problems with them. If their bits were junk
they wouldn't have been around for years.

I don't think the comparison has to go to extremes.
I'd say, while they aren't junk, they've been around for years for the
same reason any other company which makes inferior tools has... most
people won't notice the difference nor will they ever spend the extra
money for a superior tool.

I have plenty of their bits and you don't really notice them getting
dull *a lot* faster than a better bit until you have a better bit. You
don't notice how much more dull they are, out of the box, than a
superior bit, until you've used them side-by-side, new.

How many guys use all kinds of saw blades until they finally fork over
the money for a Forrest WWII, only to never use another blade again?

If I'm doing a whole kitchen's worth of cabinet doors, I'm not trusting
a $50 set of bits when I can get a production set for $100-200.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--