Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Stacked Rail and Stile Bit - Good/Bad?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Some of you may be following my previous thread about making cabinet
doors.

Does anyone know if the stack rail and stile bits shown midway down
this page are any good? I wonder if they are one of those tools trying
to be good at multiple things but not really good at any.

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-Stacked-R.../dp/B000MXMK5I

MLCS Woodworking Stacked Rail and Stile Router Bit Demo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtHZefxbw0k

I've used a few MCLS bits, no problems with them. If their bits were junk
they wouldn't have been around for years.

As far as stacked vs separate bits goes, I don't see much advantage of one
over the other. Mine happen to be separate because they were meant for 3/4"
doors but I also wanted to be able to use them on 1 1/2" doors.

Additionally, there is more than one way to skin a cat. You can...

1. Cut the rail/stile slots on a table saw, assemble square and then use a
profiled cutter around the inside edges. In fact, that is what I've just
done on two pairs of French screen doors. That leaves an arc at the
corners; I don't mind that. One can do the corners by hand if one so
wishes. One can also leave an inch or so unrouted on each rail/stile at the
corner. That used to be common.

2. Put the panel in a rabbet and apply mitered moldings over.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net