Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI outlet

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Doug wrote:

I believe most of my outlets are wired in one series to a GFI outlet
in my garage but I'm not sure of the outlet beside my garage door
opener. Is there a way to tell if this outlet is also protected?

Also, is there a difference between a GFI outlet and surge protected
outlet ? Keep in mind, I'm far from a electrical guru so easy words
please grin.

Here's some easy words: All that crap is just a con job. Some dickwad
invented the stuff, then bought some lawmakers. You flat out don't need
any of that crap. You don't even need the damn ground pin anymore, since
everything is plastic and double insulated.

Everything?

Plenty of grounded (Class I) appliances in europe - less than there used to
be mind, but still quite a lot - and lots of old legacy appliances.

RCDs/GFCIs play a very important role in safety. Even with double insulated
appliances it's still possible for a fault to expose someone to live mains -
whilst they are standing on a concrete floor or leaning against a masonry
wall or touching metal pipework.

The IET who write the wiring regulations for the UK now manadate *for
domestic wiring* that all sockets[1] and all wiring[2] be RCD protected by a
30mA/40mS device. Given harmonisation that will be the case throughout the
EU. This is a further increase over the previous edition. Those guys
generally know what they are doing.

[1] With excpetions for certain sockets allowed, eg medical apparatus,
fridges and freezers - but such sockets must be marked as unprotected

[2] Unless wiring is buried 2" under the wall surface or mechanically
protected with metal trunking, metal conduit or is an armoured cable
construction. Too many dipweeds who will bang picture hooks in willy
nilly...

What's the NEC's
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."