Default random orbital or finishing sander?

On 8 May 2004 07:12:25 -0700, (Nory) wrote:

hello,

when would you ideally use each type of sanders? what are these
specifically design for? When is it best to pull out your finishing
sander or orbital sander and lets include the belt sander?

I currently own a rectangle finishing sander but my attention is
always called to the those abrasive pads for the orbital sanders. I
cant justify a purchase for one of those things yet. Can somebody
help me out?

NORY

I have owned and used a number of sanders. lesse...

4 or 5 non-random orbit jiggle type sanders. they're just too slow.
gave the last ones away when I got the random orbit PC.
3 belt sanders. one is bench mounted, gets quite a bit of use grinding
metal. of the handhelds, the 1" wide one gets the most use, which
isn't much. the 4" wide one gets pulled out sometimes for flattening
dirty jobs, subflooring or something where I wouldn't want to ruin an
edge tool. belt sanders are not finish tools.
2 6" PC random orbiters. I keep them set up with different grits of
PSA paper. these are my main finish sanders
1 performax 16/32. it does what it does....