Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default RIP Sir Patrick Moore

On Dec 14, 7:52*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
Except when they are being used on American produced TV programmes that are
distributed to Europe. I'm thinking as a 'for instance' Deadliest Catch. The
Scottish narrarator, presumably overdubbed for the European version, rattles
on about how many kilometers this boat or that boat is from Dutch Harbour
and what the temperature is in Celcius and how many kilometers per hour the
wind is blowing, whilst all the time on the 'real' dialogue, the captain is
talking about how many miles he is from wherever, what the temperature is in
Farenheit, and what speed the wind is in knots. Ice Road Truckers is
another. And Air Crash Investigation *really* does my head in with quoting
distances in kilometers and heights in metres, when the international agreed
units in aviation (with the possible exception of the Frogs who are a law
unto themselves) are Imperial.

I'm irritated by much of the stuff on Quest - they like to big up
the drama by quoting weights as umpteen thousand pounds, when the
much more appropriate unit TON is crying out to be used.

It is concocted by journalists. What do you expect?