Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default RIP Sir Patrick Moore

On Dec 14, 1:58*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 13, 12:00 pm, polygonum wrote:
On 12/12/2012 15:48, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Mike Tomlinson
scribeth thus
In article o.uk,
Dave
Liquorice writes

B-) *He has an astrophysics degree of some sort but how long ago?
More
than 10 years ago it'll be way out of date.

He only recently completed it. *Started the course but took time out
do rock'n'roll. *Once he'd 'retired' he completed the course and got
his
degree in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May#Astrophysics

Surely degrees don't go out of date .. do they?...

I have been rather hoping (for all too many years) that Fahrenheit
degrees really would go out of date.

In the all-too-brief weather forecasts, they waste a sizable proportion
of their word count repeating temperatures in F.

--
Rod

They are still used in America. Along with inches, feet and pounds.
DegF is no more illogical than degC.
Now you might argue degK is logical.

Except when they are being used on American produced TV programmes that are
distributed to Europe. I'm thinking as a 'for instance' Deadliest Catch. The
Scottish narrarator, presumably overdubbed for the European version, rattles
on about how many kilometers this boat or that boat is from Dutch Harbour
and what the temperature is in Celcius and how many kilometers per hour the
wind is blowing, whilst all the time on the 'real' dialogue, the captain is
talking about how many miles he is from wherever, what the temperature is in
Farenheit, and what speed the wind is in knots. Ice Road Truckers is
another. And Air Crash Investigation *really* does my head in with quoting
distances in kilometers and heights in metres, when the international agreed
units in aviation (with the possible exception of the Frogs who are a law
unto themselves) are Imperial.

Arfa

I dunno about that. We are still using knots for speed, the Yanks use
mph. The krauts use metres for height and we use feet. So there is
still confusion.