Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

On 12/13/12 2:16 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/13/2012 9:00 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 12/12/2012 4:31 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/12/2012 9:15 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

So there's my next question. My only option for making dadoes is a
router, and I'd love to avoid making extra passes. If I buy a 23/32
bit,
will I be OK? Or is plywood thickness too unpredictable these days?

The simplest solution is to clamp a board where you want the board/panel
to fit. Place the board/panel that will fit into that dado against the
clamped board. Clamp another board on the other side. Basically you
are clamping 2 boards the exact width of the piece that will go into the
dado.

With a top bearing 1/2" flush cut bit use the clamped rails as your
guide and remove everything in between. Should be a perfect fit.

A "top-bearing" bit. You see, that's why I ask questions here. I had no
idea such bits existed. I had only seen (and have one or two of) what I
thought was the only kind, for laminate trimming and such. Excellent. I
still think I'll make a jig something like what I had in mind, but with
a narrow slot in the middle instead. Thanks.

I came up with a jig that several years ago that is similar to the one
in the wood whisperer video. Mine closes in width and length and holds
its settings. Any way most all of these type dado jigs call for a
bushing to keep the bit from hitting the jig. I hate those things as
they have to be perfectly centered with the router or you get wider and
or narrower cuts if you rotate the router as you feed it along.

With the top bearing flush trim bit you get a perfect cut along your
guide whether you rotate the router or not and you do not have to deal
with a bushing.

That's the problem I had with his video. Well, the other problem. The
first problem is him getting waaaaaay too detailed on each step.

We're talking about trying to cut dadoes the exact width of a piece of
wood. And he's using a bushing... those things never get perfectly
centered. So you essentially have a technique with a margin of error
greater than what I could cut dadoes sans jig. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--