Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cincinnati No. 3 milling machine for general shop use?

Ignoramus26907 wrote:

Dan, I won that machine, I will report my findings.

Well, if in good shape, it should be very nice. Of course, all
the usual things can be wrong, like worn ways, badly worn
leadscrews, etc. When I put a readout (not digital, but optical)
on my old Bridgeport, I was amazed at the differential wear on the
X leadscrew. I didn't think it was possible for it to be worn
so much in the center without the entire thread going away.
I had very close to .050" error in the middle, then it would start
to go down after passing the center. Well, that explained why
I couldn't make any larger things where the bolt holes lined up!

A DRO might be the easiest way to make accurate parts with it.

Jon