Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Making Cabinet Doors with Rail and Stile router bit

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

I have a related question. I have a Dewalt 2 1/4 HP router (Model
618) which will do 8000 RPM (and faster, of course).

Can I use it in a table with a 3" diameter bit to cut a "raised
panel" in Cherry wood? I only need to make 2-4 panels, so I hope
this is workable. I assume my "luck" will be better if I only cut
1/8" or less at a time. Is that about right?

What is the MAX RPM spec'd by the bit mfg?

Shallow passes are the only way to go with a large bit.

Lew

Here in an example of what I was looking at:

http://www.precisionbits.com/yonico-...-set-ogee.html

On the safety and tips tab at the bottom, this note in general max
speeds of 8k-12K RMP for bits that are 2 1/2 -3 1/2 inches in diameter.