Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
BobH[_5_] BobH[_5_] is offline

Default Heating a pool with an air conditioner

On 12/12/2012 6:37 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 12/12/2012 5:56 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 12/12/2012 5:29 PM, BobH wrote:

Also, we ran the pump late at night when electric rates were lower. That
would not be possible if you were using the pool as a heat sink.

Boiled,
BobH

Yeah. Central TX here and same thing. Last 2 summers I got "Sun Sails"
and that made quite a difference. HD sells them for $35. I got mine back
when they were cheaper. They hold up remarkably well.

Are you sure they lower the bills at night? Here it just looks like they
do and it fools a lot of people. Even the guys at the pool store thought
it was lower at night but, actually, here, they tier the rates based on
usage, not time of day.

I looked it up. Phoenix does have "time of use" billing.

Yes, we were on APS in the east valley. As long as we used more than 1/2
the daily KWH between 8PM and 8AM (or something similar), the nightime
rate was about 1/3 the daytime rate. Running the pool pump from midnight
to 5AM used enough power that we almost always made the required
distribution, even when we were pounding hell out of the air conditioner.

BobH