Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Making Cabinet Doors with Rail and Stile router bit

On 12/12/2012 6:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12/12/12 4:18 PM, dpb wrote:

2) As said before, use stock wide enough for several rails and cut them
in one pass, then rip to width. Crosscut them square w/ the sled on the
TS first, then run them along the fence on the shaper/router table.

Well, I gotta admit that not one site I've visited, and I just went
through about 6, all from different sources, offers that advice. Every
thing I've read says to use a sled or a push block to keep the rails
square with the fence.

I'm not saying that your suggestion doesn't have merit, I'm just saying
that I haven't come across a cabinet door building site - video, text or
PDF - that suggests that method.

You lookin' for how to do it quickly, weren't you? I'm tellin' ya'...

It's trivial; use scaling of cutting fewer individual pieces in more detail.

I've been doing this for some 50 yr now...the "trick" was in the
original handout on making windows/doors/etc. that Delta/Rockwell used
to distribute (like up to the '60s into the '70s) w/ their shapers
reprinted from an industrial arts text...

If you don't plan ahead and have to have all the multiple sizes, do the
best you can to make as many sets of the same as you can at a given time
but even if it's only the top and bottom rails, cutting them at the same
time ensures they're the same length.