Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
gonjah[_3_] gonjah[_3_] is offline

Default Heating a pool with an air conditioner

On 12/12/2012 5:29 PM, BobH wrote:
On 12/11/2012 2:19 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:43:07 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Think about how it could help the AC. The current coils
and fan in the condesner are perfectly capable of taking
the heated, compressed refrigerant down to close to
ambient temperature. The pool heat exchanger is going
to do the same thing.

"Ambient" pool water temperature normally isn't the same as ambient
air temp. A pool provides an enormous heat sink, cooling at night,
with evaporative cooling not requiring jumping through EPA hoops.
Water is thousands (WAG) of times more capable of removing heat than
air.

Maybe it depends on where you are, but in Phoenix, our pool needed
cooling in the summer just from the heat load from the sun. In July and
August, the water temperature would be 98+ in the evening. We had a
mister hooked up to the filter return that would take a few degrees off
when the pump ran at night. Pumping more heat into the pool would make
it unusable for swimming.

Also, we ran the pump late at night when electric rates were lower. That
would not be possible if you were using the pool as a heat sink.

Boiled,
BobH

Yeah. Central TX here and same thing. Last 2 summers I got "Sun Sails"
and that made quite a difference. HD sells them for $35. I got mine back
when they were cheaper. They hold up remarkably well.

Are you sure they lower the bills at night? Here it just looks like they
do and it fools a lot of people. Even the guys at the pool store thought
it was lower at night but, actually, here, they tier the rates based on
usage, not time of day.