Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Making Cabinet Doors with Rail and Stile router bit

On 12/12/12 4:18 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2012 2:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I tried my hand at making a couple of cabinet doors this weekend and
they came out OK for a first try. I don't have a Rail and Stile bit
set (yet) so here's what I did, just to make a couple of protoypes to
show SWMBO:

The frame was made from 3/4 poplar, the panel was 1/4 luan.

I used a round-over bit on the inside of the 2 3/4" frame, a cove bit
on the outside and a 1/4" straight bit for the plywood panel.

I used miter joints at the corners and #10 biscuits to join them.

1 - Is a PC 690 (1 3/4 HP, single speed) router powerful enough to use
with a Rail and Stile bit set?
2 - What's the trick to ensure a perfectly square cope on the end
grain of the rails?

1) Surely ought to be...
2) As said before, use stock wide enough for several rails and cut them
in one pass, then rip to width. Crosscut them square w/ the sled on the
TS first, then run them along the fence on the shaper/router table.

Well, I gotta admit that not one site I've visited, and I just went
through about 6, all from different sources, offers that advice. Every
thing I've read says to use a sled or a push block to keep the rails
square with the fence.

I'm not saying that your suggestion doesn't have merit, I'm just saying
that I haven't come across a cabinet door building site - video, text or
PDF - that suggests that method.

Cut the slot w/ TS instead of router or if going to use a router get a
slotting cutter, not a standard 1/4' bit. You have to be sure it
matches your ply thickness correctly though; the undersized/metric stuff
is a royal pita...

If I'm using a rail and stile bit, why do I need to cut the slot on a
table saw or slot cutter? I only used the 1/4" bit because, as I said, I
don't have a rail and stile bit yet.

Again, make your sizes consistent to have only a couple or maybe three
different sizes overall and make the pieces in bulk.

That ain't gonna happen. I'm making doors for stick built cabinets so I
have to match what is already there. There's at least 5 different widths
and 6 different heights.

And, of course, then forget about the miters--when they're square
they'll just fall together square w/ the least amount of pressure
assembling.

For speed there, instead of clamps set up an assembly table w/ a rail
against which to put one side and cross pieces between as many as you
can have room for. Then a second rail on the opposite and just use
wedges to apply pressure. Or, if you want to get fancy, make the oval
cams and fasten them on one side/ends. Much faster than messing w/ clamps.

That's a thought. I recently picked up three flat doors that someone was
throwing out, figuring I would at some time need tables for something. I
could glue up a bunch of doors if I laid the "tables" end to end across
my basement.

BTW...just ran across this free router e-book. Lots of tip and techniques.

http://torbwine.com/ww/routerbook.htm