Phillip Hallam-Baker

Default Always Glass for kitchen cabinet doors ?????

wrote in message . ..
Which is better glass or plastic?
Mike

Depends. If you are building something really big you might
want to consider polycarbonate, its a lot lighter and much
stronger than glass. 'Bulletproof' 'glass' is actually
polycarbonate, often in a sandwich with safety glass.

My wife unit wants me to make some overlay frames for the
non safety glass windows on the ground floor of our house.
This is to stop children going through. The glass is
over a hundred years old and was made by blowing a cylinder
of glass, then opening it out to make a plate. These windows
are 50" square so replacement with the same stuff would be
expensive.

So I have been trying to calculate the thickness of
polycarbonate that stops a 40lb child thrown at 5mph.

Phill