Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 12/11/2012 10:35 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

All shelves would be fixed. There would be a face frame, and a back.
I'm wondering if I should simply make the cabinet as two separate
boxes, joining them together after both are assembled. That would
give me a double-thickness center divider, but there would be a 1x2
covering the seam anyway. This idea appeals to me because I think it
will be easier to handle two smaller, simpler units than one large
one. But if do decide to make the cabinet as a single unit, is it OK
to make dadoes in both sides of the center divider, as long as none
of them are in line with each other?

Yes - it would be fine to dado both sides of a board. Make sure your
shelves fit snugly into your dados and once they're glued up it will
be as if it were a solid piece.

So there's my next question. My only option for making dadoes is a
router, and I'd love to avoid making extra passes. If I buy a 23/32
bit, will I be OK? Or is plywood thickness too unpredictable these
days?

I honestly don't know. Haven't dadoed a piece of plywood into a board in
too long. Well - I have, but in those cases I had to make multiple passes
anyway, so it didn't matter. I use my router too. I don't do enough dados
to warrant buying a dado blade and farting around getting it setup and all.
I just chuck a router bit and go at it. That process has never caused me a
problem.

I wouldn't sweat making multiple passes if that's what's necessary. Just
make all of your passes that use the same fence setting before moving your
fence to make any next passes, and then do them all at once.

--

-Mike-