Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

On 12/11/2012 10:59 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
However, if it's easier to build two cases, do it. It's not that much
more material and there's nothing wrong with it, if the design calls for
a center divider.

My "design" (more of a half-assed idea so far) was based on two factors:
the size and the weight of the books to be stored. These bookshelves
will hold books mostly, rather than the usual bric-a-brac. The spaces
available are 4' wide, but I don't feel quite right about shelves 48"
long. Plus, some of the books are very tall, but most are not. Thus I'll
need some tall shelf spaces and some less so.

I was originally going to make the lowest shelf tall and the rest
shorter, but if I need a divider anyway, I think it will add some visual
interest to break it up the way I described.

IMO a bookcase that is wider than it is tall looks odd
and.... sideways.... so a divider is nice, esthetically.

These bookcases will actually sit atop a set of existing cubbyhole units
that span a whole wall. The two new bookcases will be placed at either
end, with a TV in the middle. Assuming all goes well (and I live long
enough, given my less-than-efficient woodworking methods) I may complete
a faux built-in with a "bridge" over the TV between the two units.
Anticipating the obvious question, yes, I will be anchoring the units
into the wall as well.

That is, until the plan changes entirely. We'll see.