Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default brick work + more

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:24:00 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 12-11-2012 12:38, z wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:26:35 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-10-2012 21:06, Attila Iskander wrote:
I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding"
I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House.
It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang
just like other siding

It's what he's got and doesn't want.

I disagree
He has "fake brick"
This is actual brick and/or stone material, NOT some vinyl made to look like
brick.

I never heard of "vinyl made to look like brick" being used on walls.
But anything is possible.

Vinyl, no I haven't seen that either. Asbestos shingles that are
*supposed* to look like brick, sure.

It's not that clear exactly what he has. Non-structural brick that
covers a house is called "brick veneer". It is brick but doesn't hold
up the roof.

It's what I call it, too, but a lot of people call it fake brick.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fake+brick

Right, but brick veneer can be full size bricks. Usually is, in fact.

It's just that it's not free-standing, but instead attached to the house.
So you get the real brick without having to build a supporting foundation
for it.

That sounded like what he had, to me too.