Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply?

On 12/11/12 9:26 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
We still haven't settled on our book storage plans. Now I'm
considering a design that would involve shelves on both sides of a
wide cabinet divided in the middle, but not in line with each other.
The cabinet would be 54" high by 48" wide, with a vertical divider a
little off-center. To one side of the divider there would be 4 shelf
spaces each 12" high. On the other side would be 3 shelf spaces, each
18" high. (all numbers approximate, I know the thickness of the wood
will change the exact dimensions). The dadoes on opposite sides of the
divider would then be about six inches apart.

All shelves would be fixed. There would be a face frame, and a back.
I'm wondering if I should simply make the cabinet as two separate
boxes, joining them together after both are assembled. That would give
me a double-thickness center divider, but there would be a 1x2
covering the seam anyway. This idea appeals to me because I think it
will be easier to handle two smaller, simpler units than one large
one. But if do decide to make the cabinet as a single unit, is it OK
to make dadoes in both sides of the center divider, as long as none of
them are in line with each other?

Dadoes on both sides of a sheet of plywood would be fine.

However, if it's easier to build two cases, do it. It's not that much
more material and there's nothing wrong with it, if the design calls for
a center divider. IMO a bookcase that is wider than it is tall looks odd
and.... sideways.... so a divider is nice, esthetically.

I'm starting a build-in bookcase project that will be 64" wide x floor
to ceiling.
I'm breaking it up into two 32" wide cases for two reasons-- sheet goods
are 48" and who in their right mind would try to build a single case
that big. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)