Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT -- avoid the flu shot?

Peter wrote:
On 12/11/2012 10:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
(edited for length. Read full article on the web.)
http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/b...m-in-flu-shots

Latest on the Flu Shot Scam Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010

"Flu season" coincides with the time of the year when people have the
lowest vitamin D levels. Vitamin D deficiency from lack of sun in
the winter is perhaps the primary reason for winter illnesses. At
Pacific Health Center we generally suggest 4000 - 5000 i.u.'s of
vitamin D per day.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) say that the vaccine viruses
need to be an exact match of the viruses in circulation to be
effective. The odds of this are almost nil, since it takes a nine
month process to produce flu vaccine, basing its contents on the
strains active last year in SE Asia. The CDC also states that, over
the past 11 years, 86% of all influenza-like illnesses were not
causes by influenza viruses. Therefore, if flu shots are beneficial
at all, they will only be beneficial 14% of the time.

The Cochrane Collaborative Vaccine Project reviewed 51 studies on
more than 260,000 children, concluding there was "no evidence" flu
shots were more effective than a placebo. The Mayo Clinic found a
higher risk of hospitalization in children who received flu shots.
Cocrane also reviewed 25 reports on 60,000 adults, finding that flu
shots only reduced risk by a negligible 6%.

But saying "no" to flu shots does not mean doing nothing to prevent
flu and other winter illnesses. Pacific Health Center suggests the
following protocol, which we have used for several years with great
success:

Take 5000 i.u.'s of vitamin D daily (we recommend our Vitamin D
5000) Take our Flu Prevention Homeopathic formula once per week
throughout the winter and early Spring (Flu Nosode 2010-2011) Take an
L-Lysine collagen building formula to prevent invasions by viruses
and other microorganisms (we recommend Collagen Forte) Take 2000 -
3000 mg/day of a buffered, ascorbate vitamin C with bioflavonoids (we
recommend our Ascorbplex 1000) These four products are available on a
special right now on our website. Just go to this link:
http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/s...pg1-cid34.html

Have a healthy winter, flu and flu-shot free!
- Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist

Your posting (edited for brevity) might have a shred more interest and
credibility if it cited references. Where exactly does the CDC say that
vaccines must be the "exact" match? Which issue of which journal
published the Mayo Clinic data you cite, etc.? Does the Cochrane
Collaborative and/or the Pacific Health Center have a meaningful
bibliography of research articles in recognized reputable medical journals?

With respect to the speculation that vit D deficiency is the cause of
increased susceptibility to influenza, how does that square with the fact
that influenza commonly affects the entire U.S. southern tier of states
from east coast to west coast (where the weather commonly is compatible
with summer/bathing suit style of clothing, even in peak flu season) as
well as the more northern states? After all, it only takes 10-15 minutes
of whole body exposure to summer sun to generate and release into the
blood up to 20,000 U of D3 (J. Nutr. February 1, 2005 vol. 135 no. 2
317-322). Do the sources cited seriously believe that winter residents
of Florida, Texas, Arizona, southern California etc. are not receiving
sufficient sunshine to generate more than the 5,000 U Vit D contained in
the pill being peddled?

I was wonder what the percentages were for full, partial sun.

Many of the statements exemplify flawed logic. For example, even if the
CDC does say somewhere that 86% of "flu-like" illnesses are not caused by
the influenza virus, and that only 14% of patients with such illnesses
might be helped by the influenza vaccination, the posting ignores the
fact that the CDC, on it's own web site, strongly favors flu vaccination
for almost all people over the age of 6 months. Just because an illness
may initially present with "flu-like" symptoms, less dangerous illnesses
have a much lower risk of evolving life-threatening complications than
does influenza. The overwhelming majority of credible studies done over
decades have determined that the risks of serious complications from a
flu vaccination are miniscule compared with the risk of serious complications from the flu.

I suppose the common cold, a virus, is mostly responsible.

I don't want to throw around my c.v. here, but I believe I have
sufficient formal education, clinical, and career experience to say with
some authority that your posting does not provide any information to
justify making any hypothesis, not to speak of statistically significant
data to support a hypothesis. It is a very good example of scientific illiteracy.

I've seen the posting before.
I take vitamin c. I take vitamin d.
A few years ago my hip was causing major problems. I attribute taking
vitamin d along with other minerals making it 95% better.

I got my flu shot.

Greg