Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT funny thing

On 11/12/2012 14:44, Paul Herber wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:36:08 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

In article ,
Gary wrote:
Later that day I go to Tesco's and radio isn't working very well, low
signal.
I think to myself that's funny! Just out of interest I turn off the rear
screen heater. The radio now works. So I turn the heat back on again,
and the radio goes hissy, turn it off and the radio is fine.

I've rechecked that the rear screen circuits are all intact and not
arcing or anything but it got me beat (that's not hard).
Any ideas ?

Does it use the rear screen element as an aerial? If so perhaps the
amplifier/isolator unit is not being powered correctly after your repair.

Or perhaps the original relay damage was caused by failure of the choke
that isolated the element's power supply from its aerial function, so
now when powered, you are in effect grounding your aerial as well?

A capacitor will also be needed to isolate any DC from the aerial input.

Yup, although there is a fair chance the radio will have that internally.

--
Cheers,

John.