Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default UK power generation

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 03:01:09 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

BUT lets look at February. And imagine UK demand peaks
at 60GW, the wind ain't blowing, harry's panels aren't working cos the
sun went down, Germany is up **** creek and they need 4GW from us to
keep Bavarian beer cool..so total generation demand peaks out at 64GW..

On the French interconnector and on the Dutch interconnector (and probably on
the Irish ones too) it is *impossible* to trade export to the point where it
affects system margin in the UK.

..and we have 67.1 plus 2.8 peak pumped.

Now imagine if Drax trips out..

If you mean all of it then that is not classed as a credible fault.

64GW is also around 10GW *above* the currently predicted max demand this winter
(1 November 2012 to 28 February 2013) although we peaked at around 55GW levels
yesterday and the predicted peak tomorrow is nearly 58GW

As I've said previously this winter isn't going to be a problem and given a
triple dip recession we are possibly secure for a few more winters to come...