Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Contact enhancers?

"gregz" wrote in message
Daniel Prince wrote:
I cannot find my bottle of Tweek so I need to buy some new contact
enhancer. Which one do you use and recommend?

I have looked on eBay and contact enhancers come in liquids that you
apply with a brush, squeeze tubes, and aerosol sprays. Which form
do you think is best? Thank you in advance for all replies.

I got a few bottles, sprays, concoctions. Been a while since I used my
stabilant.
I just used some non residue cleaner on a MAF sensor. Depends how get down
and dirty I need to go. What I most use these days is CRC lube which is an
enhancer. It's cheap and available. I also got tubes of caigs concentrated
items.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/crc-2-2...l#.UMaD5qN5mSM

Greg

Interesting that you've cleaned a MAF. Petrol or diesel ? Did you find
cleaning worked ? If so, by 'feel' of performance or by looking at the
numbers ? Reason that I ask is that I had MAF issues on my wife's diesel
Land Rover Disco TD5, soon after it was bought SH from a dealer. The dealer
cleaned the MAF, and declared it ok then by the numbers. However, it wasn't
ok. The low end performance was appalling, making it quite dangerous to pull
out of some junctions. After some to-ing and fro-ing with the dealer, I did
some research on the net, and the initial advice was to just disconnect it
to force the ECU back to the default fuel map. If this made it run right,
the further advice was to replace it, and to do so with either an original
or OEM part. Looking into this further, I found that although deposits on
the actual sensor wire(s) can cause problems, by far the more common problem
is that due to the elevated temperature that the wire is driven to as part
of the way the sensor works, its characteristic curve alters over time, and
its output falls in general. The reason that you apparently shouldn't use
the cheapo ones on the net is that their linearity tends to be poor, and
they can be quite short lived. Apparently, many use a diode as the sensing
element, rather than a wire or a tiny bead thermistor.

With my one disconnected, the engine ran brilliantly, so I bit the bullet
and just bought an OEM one from a Landy dealer's spares department. When I
took the old one out, it had indeed been totally cleaned, and the wires were
spotless, but never-the-less, it still didn't work properly. The new one,
when fitted, did, and continues to do so, so just interested in your
findings for cleaning yours.

Arfa