Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary[_11_] Gary[_11_] is offline

Default OT funny thing

On 11/12/2012 13:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:16:58 PM UTC, Gary wrote:
I have a car Fiesta 1.3 Endura 2001 – 2002.

It is fitted with a Ford CD car radio.

Up until two days ago the car radio worked fine (and it still does ).

Here's the problem; –

about 18 months ago the rear screen heater stopped working.

I looked at it and couldn't see anything obvious. I checked the

connectors and the switch and the fuses. put to one side to do when I

could fit it in.

On Saturday I got the workshop manual out and the multimeter. 10 minutes

late I locate the problem, the relay which is mounted up behind the fuse

box appears to not work. Upon examination of the relay the high current

terminal has overheated and gone open circuit. Cleaned up and swapped

that relay for another one of the same type mounted in the same fuse box

checked circuits and it's okay.

Later that day I go to Tesco's and radio isn't working very well, low

signal.

I think to myself that's funny! Just out of interest I turn off the rear

screen heater. The radio now works. So I turn the heat back on again,

and the radio goes hissy, turn it off and the radio is fine.

I've rechecked that the rear screen circuits are all intact and not

arcing or anything but it got me beat (that's not hard).

Any ideas ?

The drain on the battery from the working heater is causing the radio problems, maybe the car battery is on it's way out, have you tried measuring the voltage when the heaters on. Clucthcing at straws perhaps

I'd blame the cold weather ;-)

full voltage. it is as if the aerial amp is being turned off. it is
prosibly an earth problem but it is not obvious where to look.

thanks