Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Robert Baer[_3_] Robert Baer[_3_] is offline

Default What's with wall warts?

Jim Thompson wrote:
What's with wall warts? Do they have a five year warranty clock
built-in?

I just lost the third wall wart in a month.

All of them 5+ years old, or more, so I guess I can't complain.

What's to wear out... capacitors?

This one was for my Cisco BEFSR81 Router. I think it's actually a lot
older than 5 years.

I'm presently up and running on a bench supply:-}

...Jim Thompson

The "old" style = = unregulated is symple, xfmr,2 diodes, cap with
the xfmr a little under-rated (for smallest size) and gets a bit warm.
Crappy design as they all put out more voltage AT FULL LOAD thantheir
"specification".
Xfmr heat slowly cooks the cheap cap to death.