Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default What's with wall warts?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:47:44 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:50:40 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Incidentally,
http://www.blippee.com/gilbert.html
"Look at Gilbert toys first...they last!"
I guess that's a dead motto.

This one only lasted a year (1951-52)
http://daily-grind.net/most-dangerou...ic-energy-lab/

Chuckle. At the time, there were promotions for the "friendly atom"
which included nuclear powered automobiles and airplanes. I was only
3 years old at the time, so I didn't get this toy for my birthday.

Natural uranium is 0.7 micro Curies, which is not very much. Some
basics:
http://nuclearhistory.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/radioactivity-of-uranium/
A lump of natural uranium isn't dangerous, unless you're worried about
heavy metal poisoning from the minerals usually associated with
natural uranium deposits. Of course, public paranoia eventually
proscribed all forms of radioactivity, including the Thorium in
Coleman lantern mantles etc. The thorium mantles were noticeably
brighter than the current yttrium variety.

In 2002, I had to endure a radioactive treadmill stress test to see if
my heart was functioning properly. I had my Geiger counter in my car,
but didn't have the guts to take it into the hospital with me. Part
of the procedure was to inject me with Thallium 201. After the test,
I went to the local (nearby) electronics store, fired up my Korean War
era Geiger counter, and pegged it with 20,000+ counts per minute. The
reaction was interesting. Anyone that was 50 years or older,
immediately jumped away backwards when they heard the roar of the
counter. My calculations of their exposure rate did not make them any
happier. Nobody would go anywhere near me. However, those under 50,
had never had any classes or experience with radioactivity in the
skools, and usually asked something mundane like "What's that noise"?

The effect was sufficiently interesting (to me) that I repeated my
Geiger counter demonstration at some of my customers along the route
between the hospital, my office, and my home. Unfortunately, it was
only good for about two days as the half life of Thallium 201 is only
3 days. Some of my friends and customers still refuse to forgive me
for nearly creating a panic in the homes and offices.

I was also repeatedly asked a rather odd question, which had me
mystified for a while. They asked "Why do you have a Geiger counter"?
It was much later that I realized that they were really asking was if
I was conducting dangerous radioactive experiments at home.

I've also given brief demonstrations with the Geiger counter and home
made scintillation counter in skools and at radio club meetings. The
reactions varied from extreme curiosity to running away in horror.
Most of the horror came from administrators and officials. I managed
to worry a few parents when I demonstrated that a granite countertop
and potassium salt were hot:
http://healthyliving.blog.ocregister.com/2011/04/01/7-household-items-that-contain-radiation/
This was from the salt demo:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/salt.jpg

Gilbert had the right idea. We seem to need some education in basic
radioactivity.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D