Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Foot bath heater repair help please

"John G"
Phil Allison supposed :
"John G"

What everyone else says about liability I second. But, is there a 3-
wire or a 2-wire power cord, is the basin metal or plastic, two
zillion things you haven't told us about!!!!

Does not really matter, any unlicensed repair will void the warrentee
and responsibility will fall RIGHT ON :-? the repairer.

** What "license" is needed to repair such an appliance ????

BTW The maker's warranty must have long ago expired because the unit
was being used commercially.

I suppose Authorised would be a better word but whatever the risk will go
with the repairer.

** Repairers are ALWAYS responsible for making sure an appliance is safe
to use when returned to the owner - or else they must disable it. Nothing
new or different here.

Anecdote:

Yamaha made powered mixing desks that were "double insulated" - the EMX
series.

Several of them came my way with the complaint that performers were
receiving small electric shocks (bites) on the lips from microphones when
using these desks. The reason was simply that there was no earth and the
chassis floated up to half the AC supply voltage and with a few hundred pF
capacitance to ground.

The only answer was to fit a 3 core lead and remove the double square
symbol. The service manual showed that US and Canadian versions were fully
earthed, as no doubt UL and CSA had insisted.

These models were inherently unsafe in live performance situations, if I had
simply done NOTHING then I could have been liable for any injuries that
subsequently occurred.

.... Phil