Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
[email protected] krw@at.biz is offline

Default Feasibility & cost of building a dining room table in 12 woodshop classes

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:49:14 +0000 (UTC), William Don**ly
wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:

One question though, why are you taking the class?
Is it that you are not confident of your woodworking skills?

I have the skills only because I took woodworking class in high school
(all four years) - but then - I became an electronics tech so all the shop
equipment I've bought since then has been radically different in character.

I don't have the equipment nor room for the equipment (unless I build a shed):
- Table saw (I have a chop saw)
- Router table (I have a router & bits, but I never used them)
- Band saw (I have a hand held power jig saw & circular saw)
- Drill press (I have a hand held power drill and bits)
- Disc & belt sander (I have a hand held power belt sander)
- Wood clamps (I have your basic foot-long C clamps)

I've been toying with the idea of buying the basic shop tools above
but then I'd have to build a powered shed in order to store & use them.

That's why the class seems most intriguing.

The class is probably a good idea. You didn't state what area of the
country you're in but places like Woodcraft and Rockler (stores that
cater to wood workers) offer such courses, too. They have courses
targeted a little more specifically, too. In addition, some larger
metropolitan areas have a woodworking club or businesses that rent out
shop space and tools.