Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Woodman Woodman is offline

Default 2 or 6 Harbor Freight 6/12 volt battery charger model #45005 2 or6 Amps -has a fried diode?

Mike, this would be for general purposes. New hobby is electronics/repair, and maybe dabbling in electroplating -small items.

You said there is only one transformer in a computer PS. Actually most all computer PSs today are switching type power supplies that use three small light weight transformers. Not sure how it all works but supposedly if only one transformer was used it would have to be very large, heavy, and more inefficient because full power from transformer would be always on.

I have an extra computer 350 watt 24 pin PS laying around, and rather than throwing it out will probably mode it so it can take a little more current than the ATX breakout board does. That is of course until I overload, and blow it up charging a battery, or explode dangerous plating chemicals in my face. :-)

Another question is how can I determine the VA rating of a linear transformer when there are no markings on it? As you mentioned, the manufacturer has overated my dual tapped battery charger at six amps and 12 volts. I may isolate this transformer from battery charger circuit, slap a bridge rectifier/heat sink to it with some kind of capacitor, and load test the various voltages just to see what currents it can safely output. Again, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Woody