Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Feasibility & cost of building a dining room table in 12 woodshopclasses

On 12/9/2012 9:07 PM, William Don**ly wrote:
My local town adult education flyer came in for the winter session, offering
12 woodshop sessions for $200, which got me wondering.

Is it feasible to build a basic dining room table in 12 woodshop classes?
How much would it cost?

Probably not unless the classes are all day long, then "maybe" it would
be feasible if you know exactly what order to do things and there is no
learning curve to operate the equipment.

This is why good quality furniture is not cheap.

Of course, the devil is in the details, so I just want to rough it out.

I realize the variability in cost of the wood could be huge.
What's a decent dark'ish brown wood for a decent price for a dining room table?

Probably least expensive, walnut but relatively soft compared to oak.
White Oak would give you a medium brown color and less likely to dent
than walnut.

The shape of the table would be either circular or rectangular with oval ends.
Maybe five or eight feet long?
(What's a basic size for seating four to six people?)

Go to a local furniture store and pick the size you like.