Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_2_] Dr.  Deb[_2_] is offline

Default Feasibility & cost of building a dining room table in 12 woodshop classes

William Don**ly wrote:

My local town adult education flyer came in for the winter session,
offering 12 woodshop sessions for $200, which got me wondering.

Is it feasible to build a basic dining room table in 12 woodshop classes?
How much would it cost?

Of course, the devil is in the details, so I just want to rough it out.

I realize the variability in cost of the wood could be huge.
What's a decent dark'ish brown wood for a decent price for a dining

room
table?

The shape of the table would be either circular or rectangular with oval
ends. Maybe five or eight feet long?
(What's a basic size for seating four to six people?)

As others have said, yes it is feasible. However, a lot depends on how the
class is structured.

One question though, why are you taking the class? Is it that you are not
confident of your woodworking skills? If that is the case AND the
instructor
1) will allow you to pick your own project,
2) does not feel the project is too large for the class (both room wise and
length of build time)
3) you are not going to try to get into anything fancy (assumning you are a
beginner) it could be done.

A better course of action is to read, hit the videos on Youtube, build a
trial project where you can hone your skills and then tackle the larger
project - always remembering the following

1) If it does not fit, back off, find out why and remake if necesary
2) When you rush, you screw up
3) It will take longer than you thought
4) It will cost more than you planned
5) In the coming years you will be amazed at both how well you did and
how you screwed up.

Go for it, life is too short not to grab on with both hands and shout, "Man,
what a ride."

Deb