Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default brick work + more

On Dec 9, 9:44*pm, leza wang wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:27:22 PM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:
leza wang wrote:

Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please

why it is not good idea to use real brick?

Why do you feel that you need to remove your "fake-brick" exterior and

replace it with real brick?

That is a complete waste of money.

Remove the fake brick if you want - and then add solid-core foam

insulation boards to the outside (2-inch thick) and then put

conventional vinyl or aluminum siding over it.

One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete

blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all

the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?

I've never heard of anyone going to the trouble of adding a brick

exterior to a home that did not originally have a brick exterior when it

was made. *You would absolutely have to dig down 4 feet at least and

pour a concrete foundation to support the bricks. *The cost of just

putting in the foundation is absurd and would be more than just putting

up vinyl or aluminum siding.

And by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure

that right but it is smaller house)

There is no way that your house is 15' x 13' - unless it's part of a

row-house or tenament block.

Is this a fully-detached house?

Or a duplex?

thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

it is fully detached house.
thanks once again.

probably easier to remove the fake bricks, add a layer of insulation
and cover with siding...

or you might be able to leave the fake bricks add insulation and vinyl
siding which will last more than a lifetime