Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Cincinnati No. 3 milling machine for general shop use?

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 09:01:18 -0600, Ignoramus2537

On 2012-12-09, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 06:44:40 -0600, Ignoramus2537

On 2012-12-09, Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 12:58:00 -0600, Ignoramus10589
wrote:

Someone near me is selling a Cincinnati No. 3 vertical milling
machine.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cincinnat...ng-Machine.jpg

I am sort of famiiar with the look, as I saw similar milling machines
(probably Russian knockoffs) in Russia when I had my lathe operator
practice in high school. But that was a long time ago.

This is a large machine, say, 14,000 lbs or so. The motor is 20 HP or more.

My question is, is it totally insane to just keep it for general shop
use? I have ability to hook it up and use it.

Ive run them. They are a hell of a machine if you are doing a
lot...lot of metal removal from Large castings, forgings and similar
work.

Do you need a BIG mill?

Or will a Bridgeport/Gorton/Lagun do your jobs?

Its gonna cost a little money to move it, set it, wire it up and then
its gonna cost to simply turn it on.

I have all equipment needed to move stuff like that by myself. A semi
truck, two semi trailers (flatbed and lowboy), and a 15k forklift.

Cool. And you have the power to run it? Its gonna be about 65amps at
460, or 130 at 230

Not something you are going to hook up with 10ga wire...

If it is 20 HP, it should be about 60 amps 230, not a big deal for
me. A little extra wiring, we can do that. My building has 800 amps
feed.

You arent counting the power feed motors and the coolant pump(s) and
the hydraulic pump motors in the calcs.

But it is most certainly a very nice mill!

Gunner

1. Lie