Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - "World¢s Most Expensive Hard DriveTeardown"

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:09:03 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 20:05:55 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
Grabbed a copy to show students. Hope that's OK!

No problem. There's a nice one of the entire system on the NMoC site:

http://www.tnmoc.org/sites/default/f...box/public/JR-
computers13.jpg

Despite the 'JR' in the filename I'm pretty sure that it's not one that
I took, though - I don't think it was long after the system was brought
into the main museum hall that I hopped across the Pond for good, and so
all of my photos show the machine in a much less presentable state :-)

Oh, I've got one here of the HDA from an RA81 drive too which they might
like (IIRC that was 14" as well):

http://www.patooie.com/temp/ra81hda.jpg

... and one of a much larger platter:

http://www.patooie.com/temp/platter.jpg

That one was at the Centre for Computing History, but I don't recall
what system it was from now (although I could ask).

Are you on Facebook, BTW? I have a group with various ex-UKC CompSci
students on there...

Indeed I am. Chuck me an invite or however all that malarkey works (I
generally can't find anything on facebook since they imposed that whole
timeline thing on everyone!)

Not sure which one you are? Bemidji? Number 16 on URL?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org