Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] Searcher7@mail.con2.com is offline

Default Repair or Replace?

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:23:20 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking for the best way to repair the back panel(door) of a game

cabinet because I don't want to have too build another one.

The original one in was made of MDF and the edges of the "lips" have

worn down near the corners:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorA.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorB.jpg

I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to go about repairing

this.

Is it something I can build up with Bondo? Or should I try routing it

down far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick

MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option

left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place,

but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

Here is an edge view illustration of the "undamaged" dimensions:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Dimensions.jpg

Yes, you could smooth the edge and build a lip with Bondo, sand smooth and

paint but it won't have any shear strength. It is so thin that it wouldn't

be great even in solid wood. BTW, what you have isn't MDF, it is particle

board.

I thought that particle board had courser fibers like this: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ticleBoard.jpg

Your best repair would be to cut off the lip plus another 1/2" or so and

glue on a piece of wood to replace what you cut off. If you have to have a

lip, rout it into the wood either before or after gluing it on. If you need

to use screws or nails, pre-drill.

It seems as though you are recommending that I edge glue and add screws into the edge.

I also assume you don't think that face gluing a piece as shown here would work, correct?:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...DoorRepair.jpg

(That is, provided there are 3/8" thick sizes available).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.