Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default What smells like gas but probably isn't gas?

Bill :
In message , Mike Barnes
writes

Interesting. We get a very localised gas-type smell here after rain, and
we've never tracked it down. I've entertained the theory that it's being
washed out of the soil, and it's good to hear about something similar.
But although there is an currently above-round gas pipe in the area
concerned, which has been checked twice, it's unlikely that there ever
was an underground gas pipe there.

Maybe a scary thought, but what was there before the houses were built?

Open fields (in 1801).

Any chance that there are some nasty chemicals that are getting lifted
to the surface with the rain?

Funnily enough the outside bogs were in about the right place.

--
Mike Barnes