Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT - "Worlds Most Expensive Hard Drive Teardown"

On 09/12/2012 16:21, Andy Champ wrote:
On 09/12/2012 08:40, polygonum wrote:
On 09/12/2012 02:26, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 11:05:24 +0000, polygonum wrote:
When I started out the site was starting to convert from EDS60 to to
EDS200 - exchangeable 60MB to exchangeable 200MB. Packs as heavy as you
could manage with one arm - I'd guess something towards 18" across

I think the platters were probably 14", with the casing adding another
inch or two to that.

Something inside my brain seemed to suggest that they were twice an 8
inch floppy plus a bit! But on the basis that everything seems to derive
in one way or another from a 19-inch rack, I think that 18 inches would
not have left enough physical strength - so I will go along with "around
16 inches" - giving one and a half inches at each side.

They were definitely 14 inch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...rd_disk_drives

Andy

I accepted that the platters are 14 inches - which means the plastic
cover would have been larger. I think.

--
Rod