Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Easiest repair?

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
to be fair on him , no legend on the CCD saying locked keys or any
indication of that state

Many DVD players had either a key lock or tray lock feature. I always
understood it to be a feature that could be used by stores to stop
punters
nicking the demo DVD or generally arsing about, but equally, I suppose in
conjunction with hiding the remote, it could be used to stop the kids
playing your 'dodgy' Girls of St Trunnions DVDs ... :-)

Arfa

I remember finding my father's hidden stash of Penthouse, I should think a
hidden remote was easier to find than a few DVDs.

I would expect the designer to have placed a red key icon in the CCD
display.
Owner had already bought a new replacement DVD player, so avoided the
conundrum of what "repair" fee to charge

Do you not have an 'examination only' fee ? No one gets my time for nothing.
These days, so much is either not repairable through lack of service info or
spares or tech support from the manufacturers, or by way of the parts cost
rendering the job uneconomic, that if I didn't charge at least a token
amount to cover my time if not my skill to arrive at a diagnosis, I would
quickly go bust. As an alternative if the person is a friend, just let them
give it to you as 'spares' or a "oh well, never mind, I've got a new one
now" gift. You can then flog it at a boot sale or whatever and at least get
a tenner back ...

Arfa