Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MDF: Repair or Replace?

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:24:10 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I'm looking for the best way to repair the back panel(door) of a game cabinet because I don't want to have too build another one.

The original one in was made of MDF and the edges of the "lips" have worn down near the corners:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rPanelDoor.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorA.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...freardoorB.jpg

I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to go about repairing this.

Is it something I can build up with Bondo? Or should I try routing it down far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

Here is an edge view illustration of the "undamaged" dimensions:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...Dimensions.jpg

Q: How does a door get rounded on BOTH edges like that? Curious!

Is there any reason you can't simply overlay a moulding over the
bottom? Even a 1x4 pineywood strip might work. Screw it on from the
inside, prime/paint it, and forget it.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable