Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Danny D.[_5_] Danny D.[_5_] is offline

Default Lessons learned installing a torsion spring in atypicalresidential garage

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 00:01:00 +0000, nestork wrote:

B) In my sister's case, she only had about a foot of space between the
end of her torsion rod and the side wall of her garage. So, there
really wasn't enough space to slide the new spring onto the rod easily.

Thanks. This is a good 'lesson learned' from having done it yourself!

It's common to have little space at the sides so many DIYs show how to
bend the spring in an "L" shape to get it back on the torsion rod.

Also, some spring anchor plates (like mine) have a "U" shaped opening,
which allows more freedom of movement of the torsion rod outward.

In addition, once both cable drums are loosened, you can slide the torsion
bar laterally as long as you need to get the spring off (if you have room
on the 'other' side of the garage).

In my case, I simply removed on cable drum and took down the entire
torsion rod.

But, there's just no way you're gonna get the torsion spring off that
torsion bar, in any case, without removing at least one cable drum.