Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10589 Ignoramus10589 is offline

Default Cincinnati No. 3 milling machine for general shop use?

On 2012-12-08, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus10589 wrote:

Someone near me is selling a Cincinnati No. 3 vertical milling
machine.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cincinnat...ng-Machine.jpg

I am sort of famiiar with the look, as I saw similar milling machines
(probably Russian knockoffs) in Russia when I had my lathe operator
practice in high school. But that was a long time ago.

This is a large machine, say, 14,000 lbs or so. The motor is 20 HP or more.

My question is, is it totally insane to just keep it for general shop
use? I have ability to hook it up and use it.

It looks like an awesome machine, but I can't possibly think of what
you'd need a machine that big for that your other series 2 Bridgeport
couldn't do just fine.

I have a person who is our CDL Class A driver, weldor, repairman, etc
and he needs a manual milling machine, hence the question.

Well, it would keep your building from floating away... Probably use $5
in electricity every time you start the spindle... Snap 1" end mills
like toothpicks... I bet you could experiment with stir welding aluminum
with it...

Yes... I will let everybody know... I will try to buy it for less than
scrap value.