nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D.[_4_] View Post
Until I read Dan Musick's web site, I hadn't realized that the part
that spins violently is the winding cone end because that's the end
bolted to the torsion rod itself.
The other end just spins inside its bearing.
No, Danny, in a torsion spring garage door opener, the winding cone end of the torsion spring is fastened to the torsion rod, and the other end is fixed. That is, it's bolted down so that it can't turn.

If the other end of the torsion spring could turn, you'd never wind up that torsion spring, and it would never be able to provide any assistance in opening the garage door.

It's the winding up of the torsion spring as the door closes that provides the assistance in opening the next time the garage door is opened. If the other end of the torsion spring could spin at will, it would unwind and there'd be no stored energy in the spring to help raise the garage door the next time it is opened.

So, the winding bar end of the torsion spring is attached to the torsion rod and turns with the torsion rod, and the other end is "nailed down" so it can't move.

Last edited by nestork : December 9th 12 at 06:38 AM