Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Angie's List: Inyone use it?

Good, bad, a con?
Couldn't find the subscription price without undue hassle....
They're advertising like crazy, so I figgered it's gotta be on par with
Colonial Penn's guarownteed acceptance life crap.... pennies a day....
yeah, A LOT of pennies a day....

I have belonged to it off and on for a several years. (I let it lapse
once and missed it). They do seem to make the costs hard to find. I just
checked my account and it says my renewal will be $35 for a year. (Note
that I have the lowest tier - I don't have the "health" (doctor reviews)
or "classic cars" levels).

If you know anyone who is a member, they can give gift memberships
starting at $7.50. Or keep an eye on sites like Groupon and Living
Social; they periodically run half price specials on Angie's list. You
can also do (more expensive) month to month, and then opt out if you
don't like it.

I've used the list for a number of services. If nothing else, it gives
me an idea ahead of time of prices for some services, like if I'm
daydreaming and wonder how much a skylight would be. The businesses I've
dealt with all are very interested in keeping their good reports on AL,
and so are willing to work with the customers. Some offer discounts to
AL customers. AL also has "Big Deals" where businesses offer a big
discount on a particular service to members for a limited period of
time. (I haven't used that yet, but some of the offers are intriguing).

The list is only as good as the area and the people who participate,
since it's based on the customers' reports. So if it's a small
geographical area or if the customer base is small or doesn't submit
reviews, it might not be not as helpful.

(Oh, and if you're bored, reading the bad reviews can be entertaining...).