Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Angie's List: Inyone use it?

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

Good, bad, a con?
Couldn't find the subscription price without undue hassle....
They're advertising like crazy, so I figgered it's gotta be on par
with Colonial Penn's guarownteed acceptance life crap.... pennies a
day.... yeah, A LOT of pennies a day....

We use Anglie's list all the time. Every time we need a service (like
upholstering a couple antique chairs), a contractor (major bath remodel),
etc., we start there. You still want to get competitive bids, but it
weeds out a LOT of the bozos. Pricey, yes, but the peace of mind it
provides if you have much work done is worth it. Not everyone we have
used from the list was totally stellar, but all the work has been at
least better than average, and most of it has been excellent. I'm in the
Boston area, and there are a LOT of vendors to choose from, many of them
folks I wouldn't let in my house based on the reviews. You still have to
watch out for flaky reviews from people who clearly have weird
expectations.

The other nice thing is that good contractors rely on the List to bring
them business, and if there is an issue, they will play nice. If it
really gets messy, Angie's List will mediate a dispute.

Also, if you recommend the List to someone and they sign up, you get a
free 1 lb bag of M&M's... (hint, hint)

Doug White