Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Lessons learned installing a torsion spring in a typical residential garage

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 16:29:00 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Did you even notice that I backed out when things got personal when
well-intentioned folks (e.g., Oren) and vitriolic ones (DD_BobK)
strongly suggested ripping out the wallboard?

Suggesting you remove the wallboard was not "personal". You could have
saved a lot of time and aggravation by removing all the drywall or
just in the places you needed to place vertical mounting supports for
the spring bracket and the end drums. You said you found wood in some
places and later stated it was not there. It's hard to help you when
we don't know what was behind it. Sheetrock is relatively cheap and
easy to nail up there after repairs to the door. Just a few tools are
needed.

When that suggestion came up you went silent. It would have been easy
to plainly say; "I'm not going to do that". Without removing the
drywall, it complicated the matter in my opinion.

For the record, I've never replaced a spring or worked on a garage
door myself. I have seen plenty installed by professionals and watched
them intently. Following the threads here, I learned some things.

Perhaps you were being overly sensitive. If you are happy with your
final results then nothing else matters. As my friend often says: "it
looks good from my house." Personally, I would have not done it the
way you did, but that is water under the bridge.